Monday, April 19, 2010

...NYT Review

I would have liked to discuss this article in the NYT review, just to see what others saw happening in the future as we wrap up our degrees and go find "real jobs". I wonder how many college students now see independently contracted work as a good way of going about working, or if they want to stick to the traditional corporate-based work.
Personally, I've thought about how much more convenient freelancing would be, and how I would prefer to be a contributing writer to a newspaper/source than a full-time journalist. I have so many other interests that could bring me income, that it would be sort of patched together, but I could live off of it. However, I also think that I need a very strong portfolio to be able to do this, and I would probably need to start out working as a traditional staff-member. It's an interesting approach to work though, and having grown up around my parents' businesses, it doesn't exactly seem that foreign. I realize it's difficult and that you must be creative in your search for work and take what's given (in other words, even if it doesn't seem perfect, it might lead to something better, so go for it).

Also, just out of my interest of music, Coachella happened this weekend. I missed that, but it's still interesting to me. I think the idea of the festival is cool, in that a bunch of old bands go perform on the same stages as new bands. For the new bands it's an amazing opportunity to get their name out, play for a diverse audience from their normal audience, and for the festival-goers it is just a sweet time to go enjoy. I didn't know about it until last year, but I like the idea --although, to be honest, I would probably get tired of the loudness and standing and want a nap by midmorning. Whaddya do?

No comments:

Post a Comment